J.M. Coetzee

J.M. Coetzee

Introduction

Welcome all!

This is an academic blog focued on J.M. Coetzee and was created for English 620JMC at Cal State University, Northridge. However, it is open to all the public, as the goal of this blog is to analyze, discuss and share thoughts about the writer and his works. To be completely honest, I had never heard of Coetzee nor read any of his novels until this class. So far I am very pleased to have been exposed to him and am very excited to read his novels. I welcome all ideas, opinions and thoughts. You do not need to agree with everything written or said, I do, however, ask that everyone is respectful towards one another and open to different ideas. On a side note, this is my first blog, so bear with me as I learn the tricks of the trade :)

Thanks,
Alice

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Role Playing with Sinbad: "Slow Man" and "Foe"


While reading Coetzee's "Slow Man," I noticed a reference to a story that sounded all to fimiliar. The story mentioned was The Adventures of Sinbad (of Persia). It took me a second to realize that this story was also mentioned in "Foe." The story entails Sinbad feeling sorry for an old man waiting at the riverside and offering to carry the old man on his shoulder across. Having made it across, Sinbad finds himself in trouble when the old man refuses to get off his shoulders. The old man tightens his legs around Sinbad instead. This got me thinking about the roles the characters in Coetzee's novel(s) play in this plot. In "Foe," Susan beleives Foe suggests that Susan is the old man and Friday is Sinbad. Susan disagrees and argues that she is the one drowning and Friday is the burden on her shoulders. This same situation occurs in "Slow Man" where Elizabeth seems to argue she is Sinbad and Paul is the old mand and Paul sees it the other way around. I'm just going to throw two questions out there. Who do you think takes on the role of Sinbad and who plays the old man? Why? Personally, I'd say that Elizabeth is the burden on Paul's shoulders. Everytimes he thinks he is free of her, so reappears and tightens her grasp on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment