J.M. Coetzee

J.M. Coetzee

Introduction

Welcome all!

This is an academic blog focued on J.M. Coetzee and was created for English 620JMC at Cal State University, Northridge. However, it is open to all the public, as the goal of this blog is to analyze, discuss and share thoughts about the writer and his works. To be completely honest, I had never heard of Coetzee nor read any of his novels until this class. So far I am very pleased to have been exposed to him and am very excited to read his novels. I welcome all ideas, opinions and thoughts. You do not need to agree with everything written or said, I do, however, ask that everyone is respectful towards one another and open to different ideas. On a side note, this is my first blog, so bear with me as I learn the tricks of the trade :)

Thanks,
Alice

Monday, September 26, 2011

A Title Speaks a Thousand Words: Allusions to "Waiting for the Barbarians"

While searching the web today, I came across a link for Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot." Although I have read "Waiting for Godot" more than once in the past, the similarity between these two pieces didn't hit me until I was reminded of Beckett's play. After thinking about it, I looked further into it and noticed my thought wasn't too radical as other's suggested that Coetzee's title may very well allude to Beckett's play. Aside the similarities in title, the most obvious connection is the idea of waiting. Both pieces deal with waiting for someone (or someones in Coetzee's novel) that never arrives. Greater importance is placed on the waiting vs the arrival of the expected party. Therefore, the process of waiting and what happens while waiting is more important than the arrival. Just as Estragon and Vladimir in Beckett's play, the characters in Waiting for the Barbarians continuously wait for the arrival or attack from the barbarians that never happens.
Also, as the story in "Godot" progresses the play gets reduced and make less and less sense. Similarly, Waiting, in some ways, becomes reduced and more chaotic as the plot continues. For one, the magistrate physically gets reduced to nothing as he starves and his clothes become tattered. Furthermore, his location and possessions gets reduced from a nice office with basic luxuries to a dark, bare room. As far as senselessness goes, the citizen's becomes more frantic and senseless as they continue to wait to be attacked by the barbarians. One could argue that the magistrate senses begin to waiver.
Lastly in "Godot" the character's acknowledge the idea of leaving, but never get to leaving. It reminded me of how the Magistrate never leaves. One could argue that he had no where to go once he escaped, but I believe it is more than that. Something seemed to bind him to settlement and the citizen’s. This something is something outside of reason. It was the same something that Just as drew and attracted him to the blind barbarian women. I am curious, what people think this something is. Is it the violence he is attracted to, is it the exoticism, or does he simply feel guilt?
On a last note. I would like to mention that I also came across when I continued a poem with the same title (“Waiting for the Barbarians”) by Constantine P. Cavafy while looking into the importance of Coetzee’s novel. I personally was more drawn to the novels connection to “Godot,” but I believe the poem is just as important and interesting. I will provide a link to the poem below and welcome anyone to compare and contrast the poem to the novel who finds this source to the title more intriguing and clear. I will also provide a link to Beckett’s play for those who are interesting. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any comments.

Samual Beckett's "Waiting for Godot"

ConStantine P. Cavafy's "Waiting for the Barbarians"

2 comments:

  1. Alice,

    Hi! Great post! First, kuddos to being able to handle and make a comparison to Beckett, I myself can never manage to get through Modernist poetry and literature, but I think that the connection you made between the two is great. I thought the connection you made in that in both pieces of literature the character was 'waiting' for something to come (that never would) was great. However, what I found the most interesting about your post was the comment you made about the role of darkness in 'Waiting For the Barbarians'' and the concurrent idea that the Magistrate loses everything as his possessions are reduced to nothing. These connections that you've made are similar connections that I found when reading 'Waiting For the Barbarians"; I also saw the overtone of darkness throughout the book and the Magistrates sort-to-speak loss at his sense of self. Perhaps this is a hint that this is what life is like under the "Empire" (whoever that represents)? I also thought it was really interesting that you mentioned that the barbarians never come, it as if they are waiting for a threat/complication that never actually happens. Good job!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica! Although you don't like Beckett (lol) I'm glad you saw the connection I was trying to make. I was also going to talk about the poem too but got obsessed with the Beckett connection. It interesting, although I mentioned the darkness, I didn't really think too much about it. Hearing you talk about it has made me think about it even more. Nice hearing for you and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete