J.M. Coetzee

J.M. Coetzee

Introduction

Welcome all!

This is an academic blog focued on J.M. Coetzee and was created for English 620JMC at Cal State University, Northridge. However, it is open to all the public, as the goal of this blog is to analyze, discuss and share thoughts about the writer and his works. To be completely honest, I had never heard of Coetzee nor read any of his novels until this class. So far I am very pleased to have been exposed to him and am very excited to read his novels. I welcome all ideas, opinions and thoughts. You do not need to agree with everything written or said, I do, however, ask that everyone is respectful towards one another and open to different ideas. On a side note, this is my first blog, so bear with me as I learn the tricks of the trade :)

Thanks,
Alice

Monday, September 19, 2011

"In the Heart of the Country"

I just finished my second novel of Coetzee and would like to explore it further in this post. I actually had more questions than ideas and I would love to hear other's opionions/incite. First, I would like to mention that I did like this novel more than Dusklands. Both narrators (Eugene and Magda) were similiar in their random, unorganized style of talking. However, I found this novel easier to follow and more interesting. Additonally, both novels clearly explore the relationship of the colonizer and the colonized (granted in different ways). Also, this novel, like the second story in Dusklands, takes place in South Africa. Aside from the separation and tension between races, I believe this novel is little more subtle about its connection to colonalism and its relationship to Coetzee's past. I found it interesting how the novel was broken up and numbered into parts. It was almost like reading a dairy or experiencing random snap shots of different, yet connected, events. To be honest, I am not completely sure why Coetzee wrote this novel this way. Does anyone have any ideas what purpose this would have? I viewed it as the narrator's attempt to organize/control the chaos in her life; kind of like the way Eugene tried to so hard to grasp control over his life. I was also interested in the way the narrator would repeat and wither slightly alter or completely change what was being told. I almost wasn't sure what "really" was happening. I think that was the point though. I think it's Coetzee way to remind the audience that the novel is only a story and not fact. The novel is just a narrator telling a story and she decides what to say, how to say it, and how much of it to tell. Furthermore, I don't believe the minor details don't matter. Just as the location in Dusklands as not as important as the violence going on and still expresses the impact of colonalism.Whether with an axe or riffle, the narrator still kills her father, or at least thinks about it. The violence is still there no matter which version of the story is the "truth. " I'm curious what others thought of this technique and what they thought its purpose was? The last note I'd like to make is how body was used as a commodity. Magda must "pay" Hendrik with her body when she isn't able to pay him the money she owes. I found it interesting how the colonizer was forced to use their ownself as property and item of value, as usually the colonized is shown in this light. Did this strike anyone's attention in an interesting way? For now this is all the questions I have and welcome anyone's thoughts on the matter.

2 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that you thought In the Heart of the Country was easier to follow than Dusklands; I had the opposite experience. As you point out, I also had a difficult time deciphering what was “real” and what wasn't, but I agree that this was intentional. Eugene Dawn's narrative seemed to follow a more linear path, whereas Magda seemed to be skipping around in time. It also seemed like she was jumping through different dimensions, as she describes different scenarios/realities.

    I hadn't put much thought into why Coetzee/Magda numbered the paragraphs in this way, but I think your explanation makes a lot of sense. It's a strange juxtaposition of order and disorder. But what are the larger implications of this juxtaposition? Maybe it has something to do with the theme of power/control. Not only does the colonizer want to have power over the colonized, but he/she wants to have power over his/her own mind and reality itself. I also think that Magda has a strong preoccupation with binaries (master/servant, order/disorder). She seems to be trying to define herself in terms of what she is not, which can be seen in the way she compares herself (empty) to her father (complete).

    Furthermore, I think that Coetzee's lack of realism in his first two novels has a lot to do with breaking from the traditional colonizer narrative, like Robinson Crusoe. This form of realism has the potential to become propaganda. If he were to realistically depict colonialism, it would imply a justification of the idea that colonialism is rational. Also, is he were to attempt a realistic depiction of the “other,” which in this case is Magda (a “powerless” female), it would imply that this is within the realm of possibility. And since this novel is from the point of view of the other (at least I am suggesting this), then such an attempt at realism would be especially problematic.

    I am struggling with whether or not I think Magda is the colonizer or the colonized. You suggest that she is the colonizer, who must sell her body to the colonized, Hendrik. I think in some sense she is the colonizer, since she is a white descendent of the colonizers, but she is a woman, and I think this makes it more complicated. She is powerless is many ways, and she describes herself as such, and in this sense, Hendrik has power over her because of his sex. I think Coetzee might be suggesting something about the master/servant, self/other relationship in terms of gender. But there are so many possibilities of ways to interpret this novel!

    -Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your response. You have brought up many interesting points and taken a deeper look at what I discussed in my post. I guess I found the language and diction in "In the Heart of the Country" easier to understand than in "Dusklands." The language in "Dustlands" read unatural(almost robotic in certain passages), more informative than emotional, and stiff. The narrator in "Heart" felt more "realistic" and human to me. I felt I was reading a diary vs a formal report.

    As far as the numbering goes, yes, I believe it does reflect the colonizers need to obtain and keep control. It also shows the need of those psychologicallt losing control to find/create order as a method to deal with chaos. Lastly, it shows control of story-telling and "reality." How well can all this be controlled though?

    Thanks for your suggestion as to why Coetzee plays with realism and reason. What you said makes complete sense and I have to say I agree with you. As far as Magda goes, I believe she takes on both the role of the colonizer (on the level of race and class) and the role of the colonized (on the level of sex).

    Thanks again for your input.

    ReplyDelete